Snow days are the best days. We know the cold nip makes you want to snuggle under a blanket of cats and watch old anime shows. (No? Is that just us? Forget we said anything then.)
But there’s so much adventure to be had beyond your couch.
No excuses. Pull on that beanie and let’s snow day like a pro. Here are 51 things to do in Boulder when in snows. How many have you done?
1. Go skiing at Eldora, the closest ski resort to Boulder.
2. Do snowga. You know, yoga outside in the snow.
3. Want to stay inside? Go get dinner and see a show at the BDT Theater.
4. Go on a day trip near Boulder. Also consider doing the scenic Colorado Hot Springs Loop.
5. Take a hike. Yes, even in winter. Boulder’s Open Space and Mountain Parks manages more than 150 miles of trails, and many are open year-round.
6. Go ice-skating in Louisville. Winterskate is an old-fashioned ice skating rink.
7. Go sledding in a public park, like Tantra Park and Scott Carpenter Park.
8. Warm up at the Fiske Planetarium and see a laser show.
9. Go snowshoeing. A few of our favorite destinations include Rabbit Mountain Open Space, Heil Valley Ranch and Bear Peak Trail.
11. Warm up in the Eldorado Springs hot springs, if it’s open.
12. Warm your toes with a luxurious foot bath at the Dragontree Spa on Pearl Street.
14. Stroll down the Pearl Street Mall and dip into shops along the way to look for a new, cozy scarf and hat.
15. Go on a brewery tour, complete with free beer tastings. Try the seasonal brews.
16. Take out a fat bike. These bikes, with extra wide tires, can handle snow and ice more easily. Rent one at Full Cycle.
17. Take an ice-skating class at the Ice Centre in Westminster (it’s so close it feels like Broomfield).
18. See a movie at the Century Theatre, or catch an artsy film at the Boedecker Theater at the Dairy Arts Center.
19. Fill up on a cup of warm soup at Fresh Thymes Eatery, a tasty, healthy restaurant.
20. Go ice climbing. If it’s cold enough, you might be able to find ice formations in Boulder Canyon. Reach out to the Mountain Project for details and training.
21. Try something spicy. Try one of the great ethnic restaurants in South Boulder. Extra spicy Thai, please.
22. Toast with a wintery cocktail. Look for special winter happy hours.
23. Visit a museum, such as the Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art or the Museum of Boulder.
24. Build a snowman, a snow cave or something more creative. Get inspired by the nearby snow sculpting competition.
25. Take a ride on the Tebo Train’s Snowflake Express, a free, mini train through downtown for kids.
26. Take time to take photos of the snow-capped Flatirons.
27. Go tubing. It’s like sledding, but can be a little more extreme. Sleds are easier to control, whereas tubes can go faster, are harder to steer, are harder to slow down and can spin.
28. Go ice fishing. But make sure the ice is thick enough to support any weight first. Know Boulder’s fishing rules before you go.
29. Have a snowball fight on the CU campus. Take cover behind the tall trees on the green.
30. Need some action but it’s too cold to go outside? Check out Boulder’s indoor soccer arena.
31. Play board games. You can find a variety of Meetups for board game lovers. Many breweries also are stocked with games you can play for free while you drink.
32. Cozy up next to the crackling fire in the lobby at the St Julien Hotel and Spa in downtown. You can often catch free live music in the lobby, too.
33. Fire up the night with a wood-fired pizza from Pizzeria Locale.
34. Enjoy a decadent cup of hot sipping chocolate at Piece, Love & Chocolate. Also look for classes here. You might be able to learn how to make something sweet.
35. Dine at a restaurant with a fireplace. A few of our favorites include The Kitchen Upstairs, Cafe Aion and the Dark Horse Bar and Grill. The West End has two options: a fireplace on the first floor and a fire pit on the rooftop deck.
36. Get a warm jolt at a local coffee shop. Here are some of the best in Boulder.
37. Go get you some comfort food to warm you from the inside out. Start with Boulder’s best grilled cheese sandwiches and a side of tomato soup.
38. Sit in the steam room and sauna at the spa. We love the Mokara Spa at the Omni Interlocken Hotel in Broomfield. While there, book a seaweed wrap, which includes a rest under a warming blanket and a rinse in a rain shower.
39. Get a mani and pedi at jlounge Spa. The More Mani treatment includes a soak, massage with warm shea butter and hot stones and warm mitts. No more cold hands here.
40. Simmer in the hot tub at the rec center. The East Boulder Community Center has a great one, plus a lazy river, bubble bench, water slide, steam room and eight-lane lap pool.
41. Sit in the Salt Spa. These man-made salt caves in Louisville are good for your health and a nice reset on a cold day.
43. Go snow camping near Boulder. Many campsites are open year-round. Bonus: You won’t get dirty, because it’s covered under snow. And it’s much easier to reserve a campsite because demand is low. Consider visiting the Brainard Lake Recreation Area, less than an hour from Boulder through Left Hand Canyon.
44. Stay in a dreamy mountain cabin. Drool over our favorite local “cabin porn.”
45. Dip, dip, dip at a fondue restaurant. Find all the melted cheese and chocolate at The Melting Pot in downtown Louisville.
46. Take a hot yoga class. Boulder Bikram Yoga has been a local staple since the ‘90s.
47. Play games. You can find oodles of old-school pinball machines, bowling, arcade games and more in Boulder County.
48. Get a warm oil scalp treatment at Spavia. This exotic treatment begins with a slow drizzling of warm nut oils on your head and neck from a coconut bowl.
49. Sip a hot toddy in the sexy basement space of License No. 1, below the Hotel Boulderado.
50. Pour some hot sauce on it. Boulder Hot Sauce is made right here in town. According to Coloradans, it goes on everything and anything. It’s hard to be cold when your mouth is on fire.
51. Smoke that hookah. Some people like to warm up with a puff from a hookah. Boulder has multiple hookah lounges, including The Hookah House and Peace Pipe Hookah Lounge and Smoke Shop.